Sunday, April 5, 2009

Jocasta Commission

Here are some process shots of my latest commission, Jocasta. I have to confess I did not know that much about her. She looked familiar but had no idea she was an Avenger. Anyway, hope you enjoy a look into my work method.



Blue pencil on Stonehenge, 9x12", 2009.

I really like the softness of the blue pencil lead in my pictures and it's hard to ink over them all the time but it makes it easier to color over later.


Gray and black ink on Stonehenge, 9x12", 2009.

She was looking a little empty inside all that blank whiteness, so I included some wire work coming from her, like she was in the process of being created.
I like the effect it gave the picture as a whole, gave it a more balanced composition.
For Jocasta I inked her in a light gray Copic Multiliner which kept her softness and for the wires I just used a standard black.


Copic markers on Stonehenge, 9x12", 2009.

The metal look to her body was hard to render with the Copics. I started out with the lightest grays I had and slowly worked more blue tones into it. The color that I found to work the best with her metal skin was Pale Blue Gray (B60), light but just enough punch of color to bring her out from the white background. I wanted her to have a glow about her, like liquid metal, so I made the wire work behind her darker shades of blues and grays. They have a dirty rusty feel to them, where Jocasta is shiny and new.

I have so much work to finish up before the conventions so keep checking back for more updates. (Also if interested in commissions, I have a list of prices and formats to the right of the blog.)

No comments: